Earlier this year I shared a different way to look at creating New Years Resolutions. It involved using three words to describe how you will live your year. Read my original blog, Make a Powerful New Year’s Resolution. As we head towards the end of the year, it’s time to assess how I went. Here are the results of my 2016 New Year’s Resolution. My three words chosen were; “Structure”, “Grow”, “Nurture”. In general, looking at these words, I think I have managed to create plenty of things that fit well into these words and created a wonderful year for us. Structure In choosing this word I knew that my life, both business and personal needed structure. I figured out how to structure my calendar which lead to me being able to identify my massage availability. I was then able to advertise this to you on Facebook and this helped more clients get bookings. Structure also allowed me to manage the crazy times when Tristan was recovering from his injury or surgery. I was able to adjust my schedule to suit as I had a great structure in place. Another area that needed structure was our 12 Week Challenge. I tried my hardest to keep that going but found that structure was not so much the problem, but motivation. People were excited in the first weeks and motivation dropped off as life got in the way. I decided that I needed to be realistic and dropped the program. We are here to support you and guide you through making these healthy lifestyle changes at any time when life happens. Clients would only focus in those times and give up if something took them off track. We want to be able to help naturally, as opposed to a forced timeframe or format so structure didn’t work here but that’s ok. We need to recognise where things need adjusting. Grow Well this word related to Growing personally as well as in our business. This year has been another huge year of Personal Growth. It saw me facing my fears of Public Speaking where I presented at Networking meetings and sharing my story at our wonderful Optimising You Event in September. Ialso completed my first Half Marathon, raising over $3000 alongside Serena Ryan. From there I have also become a Qualified Recreational Running Coach. In February I begin to Coach our South West Sydney Can Too Training Pod. I am also in the process of studying further as a Post Natal Fitness Specialist. Our business has grown from my one little massage room in Queen Street to our own clinic in Lindesay Street. We now have 4 rooms, reception and waiting area. We also had Jamie join us as a Massage Therapist. With the purchase of Infinity Health, we now formally run fitness classes in Campbelltown and Camden areas on their own timetables. Also, having Tristan in the business full time means we have a full time dedicated Personal Trainer to take on individual clients and small private groups. In 2017 we already have new opportunities happening for Tristan with a regular School Group and more families, couples getting married and workmates ready to get fit. We will be hiring more staff as we have the space and the demand so if you would like to discuss joining us, please ask. We love to help people live their dreams. Nurture While I am always caring for my clients and their needs, I sometimes put my needs last. This year, I committed to getting a massage every 4 weeks and sometimes more often. The changes in my body were noticeable and I don’t have near as many headaches or pain as I used to experience. I should know better but it’s something I have really worked on. I need to be fit and well to enable me to help others, so self care became a big theme of this year. I projected this image to my clients too as I was now practising what I preached. Overall I think the concept of choosing three words to live by has been a successful approach to 2016. I have created my Three Words for 2017 and look forward to sharing these with you soon. It’s taking plenty of thought and time to make sure I identify the right ones. I would love to hear from those of you who selected three words for 2016 and how your year went. Contact Us here.
Tomorrow is New Year’s Eve. The time has come where we are ready to start fresh and create some wonderful resolutions for the year to come. Are you looking to make a powerful New Year’s Resolution… that might actually stick? I know that we all make these grand statements of how we are going to do better. We are going to give up chocolate, alcohol, junk food, go to the gym every day, quit smoking. They seem to be the same every year. Instead of going crazy with an all or nothing approach to life, can we create a resolution that you can use to guide you through the whole year? I know we can. I have been thinking about what I would like to do differently in 2016 and wondered whether I should make a New Year’s Resolution (or ten). I came across this great idea on another facebook page about choosing Three Words that will determine how you will live your year. All you need to do is choose three words that will give your year purpose and demonstrate the values that you would like to exhibit. It allows for flexibility in how you will break it down over the year. So you can choose one word that translates into many goals or actions. This approach also gives you a way to stop, refocus and adjust your method of achieving your goals, long after you have given into your chocolate craving. How do you choose your words?
- Instead of thinking about what you won’t do, think of what you will do.
- Be specific on how they relate to what you want to achieve
- Make each word separate and avoid using a three word phrase. It wastes words that could be helping you focus elsewhere.
- Attach your business or personal values to the words. It will help guide your actions throughout your decision making this year.
My Three Words for 2016:
- Structure: For me, structure is a word that relates to many things. It relates to structuring my time to ensure that I achieve all that I can without wasting time that I could be spending with my family. It also means creating a structure so I can help my clients achieve their health and fitness goals this year. I am putting together a strong structure to our 12 Week Challenge for 2016 instead of trying to give people what they want. I am the expert and I need to make the decision of what my clients need to know within the program. From there, it is my client’s responsibility to take on what they need to hear.
- Nurture: This word relates to me nurturing myself in that I need to continue with self care. Self care involves regular massages, my own personal fitness and time with my family. In my business, it means that I want to create a nurturing environment for my clients where they know they can come for help and be guided towards improving their health.
- Grow: Our plan for the year is to grow our business to really build on the foundations that have been created. I realised this year I cannot do everything with Massage, Personal Training and Nutrition clients as well as run the business with marketing, networking and admin. So growth is about getting the right people within the business to help to grow each arm of the business. Personally, it means growing as a person through learning. I will schedule time to attend more training, time for reading articles or books that will provide valuable knowledge that can be used to help others.