Are you pregnant and wondering if it’s safe to get a massage?
There is no scientific evidence to support the belief that massage causes miscarriage. When under the care of an experienced massage therapist, pregnancy massage is not only safe, but can be completely beneficial to Mum and baby.
There are a lot of misconceptions around massage during pregnancy. Many of these misconceptions are due to misinformation, fear and sadly for liability concerns. Some of the most common we hear are:
- Massage can cause a miscarriage: Miscarriages happen frequently. However, the most common cause is due to the embryo being chromosomally abnormal and not viable. Miscarriage has many causes, but massage is not one of them
- Massage is not safe in the first trimester: 80% of miscarriages occur in the first trimester. At the end of the first trimester, the baby is roughly 2 inches long. The uterus is the size of a grapefruit and largely protected by the pelvis. Only a traumatic shock to the abdomen could cause harm to the baby and not something that would occur during a massage.
- If you are experiencing morning sickness you cannot receive a massage: Women experience morning sickness at various times through out the day and at various stages throughout their pregnancy. We can discuss this with you to find a time that works best for you, keep you elevated during the treatment and keep a bucket close by just in case.
- Doctor’s clearance is required prior to a massage: Unless there is a specific complication such as Pre-eclampsia, high blood pressure, recent bleeding or if you are experiencing contractions there is no need for a medical clearance.
- Massage to the feet and ankles causes miscarriage: Again, there is no evidence to support this. Do you receive a foot rub from your partner or during a pedicure? Do they induce labour?
While there are some changes required to food, medications and activities during your pregnancy, massage is not something that needs to avoided. There is no scientific evidence to support the belief that massage causes miscarriage or negatively impacts the baby or Mum in any way.
Are there any misconceptions that you have heard about massage during pregnancy?
If you have any questions or concerns or would like to make an appointment, please contact us on 02 8964 1673 or book yourself a safe Pregnancy Massage online.