When you first hear about Infant Massage you might think it is simply pampering for our babies. It might sound like something that takes a lot of time and needs to be part of a long night time routine. And when you are a tired new parent, a complex massage routine sounds too much to handle. The benefits of infant massage are far beyond pampering and involves the most important need we have as humans, touch.
Evolution Health Services offers Infant Massage Programs to educate parents on the benefits of massage, how they can simply add it to their routine and provides a wonderful tool for caring for your baby.
Here are a few of the benefits of Infant Massage:
- Helps parents feel confident in their new role: As new parents there is nothing worse than now know how to settle or understand what your baby needs. Infant Massage education provides you with confidence knowing you can do something to enhance the health and development of your child.
- Enhances the bonding process and provides quality time: Taking the time to learn and apply Infant Massage gives you the opportunity to bond with your new baby and can create quality time within your family.
- Relief from discomfort: Infant Massage can be used to provide relief from teething, chest congestion, sinus congestion, and colic.
- Improves quality of sleep: Many parents report that following massage time with their baby that they sleep for longer. Some research also indicates that they enjoy longer periods of deep sleep.
- Helps a child cope with outside stimuli: Infant Massage promotes relaxation but also causes a stress response by the stimulation from massage strokes. They are also exposed to changes in temperature, textures and smells that they were not exposed to in the womb. Infant Massage with communication with baby, helps them to understand the new world they live in and cope with these changes.
- Helps growth and development: Infant Massage utilises gentle movements to help develop coordination and balance. We also discuss developmental milestones and activities to continue at home to assist with their growth and development.
- Increases infant’s body awareness: Touch through Infant Massage can help babies learn to live without the boundaries of the womb. They begin to sense where their bodies start and finish. As a child grows, parents can name body parts to help children learn all about their bodies.
- Teaches children they are in charge of their body: An important part of the Infant Massage process is performing the permission sequence. This involves asking the baby if they would like a massage? Obviously babies cannot talk but they can communicate through body language or what we call cues. By understanding the cues and understanding when they say no, it teaches them it’s ok to say no to people touching them.
- Teaches parents how to understand their babies: We discuss infant cues further to include ways to determine hunger, tiredness, discomfort and play time. Taking time to watch for your baby’s cues will help you to meet their needs.
If you would like to spend quality family time and learn more about your baby, join our next Infant Massage Program here. We complete the whole body over 4 x 1 hour weekly classes and include discussion on baby and parent health. For more information, feel free to contact us with your questions.